Division of Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery

About the Division

USC Health Sciences Campus

The University of Southern California is the largest private co-educational institution on the West Coast and is consistently ranked among the top 20 major universities in federal grant support. It was founded in 1880 and the School of Medicine was founded 5 years later on a separate campus several miles away.

The plastic and reconstructive surgical residency was established in 1982 under the direction of Dr. Thomas Krizek. There were two residents who began the program in 1982 graduating in 1984. In 1983, the number of residents who began the program was increased to three. The rotations currently consist of the Los Angeles County Medical Center, the country's largest public teaching hospital, Childrens Hospital of Los Angeles, City of Hope National Medical Center, Kaiser Permanente West Los Angeles, Rancho Los Amigos Medical Center, USC University Hospital, Cedars Sinai Medical Center, Shriner's Hospital for Children and the offices of Drs. Zarem, Wootton, Carr and Resnick. The program is now under the direction of Mark Urata, MD, DDS.